Radiant and sunny almost all year round, Cape Town is one of the most scenic seaside cities on earth. At its heart is a welcoming and laid-back city, characterised by its buzzing cafes and bars, and excellent restaurants around its marina serving just-caught seafood. By day, you can survey the captivating scene from Table Mountain via the aerial cable car, explore the cultivated areas such as the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Gardens and the historic Company Gardens, and admire the stunning coastline lapped by the cobalt blue Atlantic Ocean.
Up close, the plentiful beaches, including fashionable Camps Bay, are a great place to unwind, people watch, surf and even penguin spot. There is so much to do in this vibrant city; take full advantage of the abundant outdoor space and learn to surf, go hiking or mountain biking, or for the super adventurous abseil off the top of Table Mountain. Visit Cape Point to watch the roaring majesty of the Atlantic Ocean colliding with the Indian Ocean.
Soak up some of the culture in Cape Town and admire its Dutch colonial heritage woven through the cobbled streets and buildings. Local markets are also popular with anything from fresh food to fine art and everything in between, you are bound to find something for everyone. Christian, Muslim, Hindu and traditional beliefs peacefully coexist in the city, and all cultures bring unique flavours to Cape Town’s rich melting pot. Perhaps visit Robben Island, to where the infamous prison of those who were incarcerated for many years, including South Africa’s former president, Nelson Mandela. The prison has been extremely well preserved and is now a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Cape Town was declared a World Design Capital in 2014, and it’s obvious why; from its brightly painted facades of the Bo-Kaap and the bathing chalets of Muizenberg, to the Afro chic décor of its restaurants and bars. Striking street art and innovative incubators of the East City makes this one great-looking metropolis.
Encircled by natural beauty and full of adventure, Cape Town is a fascinating and energising entry to South Africa.
Features in the following itineraries
- A blockbuster journey through Southern Africa’s sizzling hotspots – Cape Town, Okavango Delta and Victoria Falls
- Ampersand's Unusual Escorted Journey to the Western Cape
- An African Extravaganza – Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Mozambique
- Best-of-the-Best South Africa - A Short but Exquisite Tour
- Classic South Africa - A Wildlife and Wine-lovers Tour
- Gourmet South Africa - Cape, Winelands and Garden Route
- Sand, Sea, Waterfalls & Wildlife – An epic 18-day holiday to South Africa, Botswana, Zambia and Mozambique
- Self-drive South Africa: Luxury Lodgings, Stunning Coastlines & An Epic Road Trip
- South Africa in Style - Cape, Kalahari and Safari
- South Africa with the Kids - A Zero Jet Lag Family Holiday
- Starlit South Africa - The Dream Luxury Honeymoon
- Whales, Dunes, Shipwrecks & Wildlife – From Namibia’s Bush, Desert & Skeleton Coast to South Africa’s Garden Route & Cape Town
- Krista Weir, Sri Lanka
- Matthew Nicklin, North India
- Leslie Siben, India
- Mr David Wallace, North India
- Mr Richard Stoughton, Sri Lanka
- Mr Geoffrey Johnson, India
- Mr & Mrs Manson, North India
- Jaime Benitez, South India