Belmond Governor's Residence
This property is one of Ampersand's Top 10 Lux City Hotels
Surrounded by lotus gardens, this heritage hotel offers an immediate sense of peace, as well as great style and a rich history. Not only do colonial-era details welcome you at every turn, but the main building is a sensitively-restored 1920s teak mansion, which - true to its name - was originally the home of a governor from one of the southern states of Burma (Myanmar). The grounds frame this oasis of a boutique hotel beautifully and are very well maintained; a koi carp pond, large red parasols and a reflective teal swimming pool provide bright splashes of colour throughout the gardens and compliment the sophisticated wooden-panelled architecture.
The 49 rooms and suites are spacious and tastefully decorated with polished teak flooring, antique furniture and tropical silks. They make for comfortable spots to relax in after a day’s sightseeing, as do each of the well-appointed en-suite bathrooms with their luxurious products, walk-in showers and large terrazzo bath tubs. For those after more of an atmosphere, we recommend relaxing poolside with a drink and book in hand alongside some of the other well-heeled guests. Or, if you’re in need of deeper relaxation, treat yourself to a massage at the blissful on-site spa ‘Governor’s Oasis’, which prides itself on using organic cedar wood, jasmine and rose oils. You are bound to feel well-looked after at Belmond Governor's Residence as the attentive staff are always on hand to help and complimentary modern touches including speedy Wi-Fi are provided.
This idyll of a hotel is arguably at its most romantic in the evening, when the candles and lanterns scattered throughout the entire property are set alight, casting a soft glow all around. We recommend wandering up the intricate teak walkway to the glamorous outdoor bar called ‘Mindon Lounge’ to have a cocktail in the balmy evening breeze, before enjoying an al fresco Burmese or Western dinner at the impressive restaurant. Finish the night with a nightcap at the stylish and cosy 'Kipling Bar'.
Striking just the right balance between traditional charm and contemporary luxury, we guarantee that you'll find it hard to leave this boutique hotel and its haven of tranquillity behind at the end of your stay.
Features in the following itineraries
- Balloons Over Burma
- Best of the Best in Burma... The Ultimate Luxury Tour
- Burma... Return to the Golden Land
- CASE STUDY: ‘World Monument Fund’ Tour of Cambodia & Burma
- China & Burma: Style, Substance & Spirit
- Sanctuary Ananda Cruise… Iconic Burma in Luxurious Style
- The Golden Land of Burma… A Luxury Tour
- The Road to Mandalay... Burma by Boat
- The Ultimate Burma Tour - No Stone Left Unturned
- Undiscovered Burma: Luxury Sailing in the Mergui Archipelago
- Mr Geoffrey Johnson, India
- Matthew Nicklin, North India
- Krista Weir, Sri Lanka
- Leslie Siben, India
- Matthew Annable, Rajasthan, India
- Mr & Mrs Manson, North India
- Mr Richard Stoughton, Sri Lanka
- Mr David Wallace, North India
- Jaime Benitez, South India
- Anonymous, India