Ampersand's Unusual Escorted Journey to Punjab & Kashmir, Holi 2019
11 days from £4,450 per person
16th – 26th March 2019
Hop on a magic carpet ride through India’s colourful festival of spring, Holi. Ampersand’s Unusual Escorted Journey to Punjab & Kashmir offers a privileged and bespoke glimpse into hidden treasures of the Subcontinent. The tour will be guided by author of Glorious Hotels of India, Cosmo Brockway, who has lived and worked in India for 20 years. You will meet some of India’s most interesting and charming personalities, from Maharajas to artisans, with extraordinary private access using Cosmo’s and Ampersand’s wide range of contacts, to ensure a truly memorable and unique journey.
From the modernist city of Chandigarh, with its Le Corbusier-designed architecture, to the flamboyant princely creations of Kapurthala, the spirituality of the Golden Temple, and the ceremonial spectacle of the Pakistan border ceremony, the highlights of Punjab are explored in an unforgettable away. The festival of Holi will be spent enveloped in a shroud of exuberant celebrations, with drums, flower petals and coloured powders galore!
The final stop is Srinagar, renowned for its natural beauty, gardens, placid waterfronts and colourful array houseboats. Here, at the fascinating summer capital of Kashmir, you will visit the floating flower and vegetable market on Dal Lake, the beautifully preserved Mughal gardens around the lake’s eastern shore, and the atmospheric old city with its intriguing wooden mosques and authentic bazaars.
TOUR HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE:
* Lunch with the Maharaja of Kapurthala at his private residence
* Celebrate Holi, the festival of colours, like a local
* Private tour of Amritsar and the Partition Museum
* Night visit to the Golden Temple, the holiest site for the Sikh religion
* Exclusive visit to the rose-pink Jagatjit Palace, modelled on Versailles
* Take in a military ceremony at the India/Pakistan border
* Le Corbusier-designed Capitol Complex in Chandigarh
* Dine on a traditional Kashmiri feast, the Wazwan
* Meet local artisans working with the traditional crafts of Kashmir
* Experience Srinagar’s unique wooden mosques with their rich interiors
* Shop in the bazaars of the Old City of Srinagar, untouched by time
* Explore Dal Lake by shikara boat, the floating market and Mughal flower garden
The tour is subject to minor changes to ensure the smooth running of the tour, and due to the schedules of the private individuals hosting the group. Not included in the rate: Alcoholic beverages other than when provided, meals at leisure or those indicated as independent, personal expenses, trip insurance, Tourist Visas.
11 days from £4,450 per person
- Day 1 - In transit.
Fly London Heathrow to Delhi.
- Day 2 - Vivanta by Taj Chandigarh - Chandigarh
Arrive at Delhi and catch connecting flight to Chandigarh. On arrival transfer to the hotel. Dinner at the hotel.
- Day 3 - Vivanta by Taj Chandigarh - Chandigarh
Morning visit to the Rock Garden. Afternoon visit to the Capitol Complex, followed by evening dinner at Dastaan Restaurant.
- Day 4 - Taj Swarna - Amritsar
Morning drive to Kapurthala and visit the Sainak School. After lunch at Villa Buona Vista drive onwards to Amritsar.
- Day 5 - Taj Swarna - Amritsar
Morning visit to the Golden Temple & Partition museum. Lunch at Bharawan da Dhaba followed by an afternoon visit to Wagah for the border ceremony display.
- Day 6 - Taj Swarna - Amritsar
**Holi Festival** - Morning Holi celebrations at Ranjit Svaasa, followed by lunch in the gardens. Afternoon at leisure followed by late evening Palki ceremony at the Golden Temple.
- Day 7 - The Lalit Grand Palace - Srinagar
Morning transfer to Amritsar airport & fly to Srinagar. Afternoon visit to an artisan studio followed by dinner at Rose Garden.
- Day 8 - The Lalit Grand Palace - Srinagar
Early morning sunrise tour of the Dal Lake floating market auction. Late morning visit the Mughal gardens. Afternoon visit the Shah Hamdan Mosque and have a walking tour of the old city.
- Day 9 - The Lalit Grand Palace - Srinagar
Morning visit heritage haveli followed by lunch with a local family. Afternoon at leisure.
- Day 10 - Taj Mahal Hotel - Delhi
Morning transfer Srinagar airport for onward flight to Delhi. Afternoon at leisure.
- Day 11 - In transit.
Fly from Delhi to London Heathrow.
- Leslie Siben, India
- Susan Ford, India
- Mr & Mrs Manson, North India
- Krista Weir, Sri Lanka
- Jaime Benitez, South India
- Mr David Wallace, North India
- Mr Richard Stoughton, Sri Lanka
- Matthew Nicklin, North India