Gently Down The Ganges... A Slow & Spiritual Boat Journey in North India
17 days from £3,795 per person
River cruising is the most exciting and comfortable new way of experiencing India at its most charming and rural. Two vessels, The Sukapha and Charaidew, now allow access to sleepy riverside villages and fantastic forgotten cultural and historic sites. This offering, one of several possible options, starts off in the sacred and ancient city of Benares (Varanasi) where Hindus ritually bathe in the Ganges River.
Heading to Patna we start slowly cruising down the Ganges, before finishing the tour in a delightful restored Tea Bungalow in the hills surrounding Darjeeling. Highlights include a visit to Bodhgaya, where the Buddha attained enlightenment and catching a glimpse of the rare Gangetic River Dolphin as you slowing drift down the river. You’ll have the opportunity to visit sleepy riverside villages to witness a way of life that has remained largely unchanged for centuries and meet the wonderful people that inhabit The Ganges’s shores.
This tour is purely a suggested itinerary. It can be booked as is or alternatively used as a starting point for creating your own perfect tailor made holiday to India.
17 days from £3,795 per person
- Day 1 - In transit
Fly to Delhi via Dubai.
- Day 2 - Trident Gurgaon - Delhi
Transfer to your hotel. Optional afternoon tour of Delhi.
- Day 3 - Ganges View - Varanasi
Fly to Varanasi and transfer to your hotel. In the evening witness the Aarti (fire) ceremony on the banks of the Ganges River.
- Day 4 - Ganges View - Varanasi
Early morning boat ride on the Ganges. Afternoon visit Sarnath, the site of The Buddha's first public address.
- Day 5 - Ganges View - Varanasi
The day is free to relax and explore the Ghats that line the banks of the River.
- Day 6 - ABN Sukapha Cruise Boat (Ganges) - The Ganges River
Morning train to Patna. Afternoon board the ABN Sukapha.
- Day 7 - ABN Sukapha Cruise Boat (Ganges) - The Ganges River
Morning tour of the ancient city of Patna. Evening cruise to Barh.
- Day 8 - ABN Sukapha Cruise Boat (Ganges) - The Ganges River
Morning sightseeing tour of the Buddhist archeological site of Nalanda. Afternoon cruise to Mokamed.
- Day 9 - ABN Sukapha Cruise Boat (Ganges) - The Ganges River
Morning cruise to Monghyr, followed by a sightseeing tour. Afternoon continue cruising to Sultanganj.
- Day 10 - ABN Sukapha Cruise Boat (Ganges) - The Ganges River
Morning cruise to Bhagalpur, followed by a sightseeing tour of Bhagalpur, BAteshwar and Vikramshila.
- Day 11 - ABN Sukapha Cruise Boat (Ganges) - The Ganges River
Morning cruise to Rajmahal, stopping for a sightseeing tour. Afternoon continue to Farakka Barrage.
- Day 12 - Royal Sarovar Premiere - Siliguri
Take the day train to Siliguri. Transfer to your hotel.
- Day 13 - Glenburn Tea Estate - Glenburn
Take the famous toy train to Darjeeling. Transfer to Glenburn Tea Estate. Afternoon at leisure.
- Day 14 - Glenburn Tea Estate - Glenburn
Take a sightseeing tour of Darjeeling. Afternoon at leisure.
- Day 15 - Glenburn Tea Estate - Glenburn
Enjoy leisurely walks through the scenic tea estate.
- Day 16 - The Oberoi Grand - Calcutta
Fly to Kolkata. Transfer to your hotel. Afternoon leisure.
- Day 17 - In transit
Optional sightseeing tour of Kolkata. Overnight flight to the UK via Dubai.
- Jaime Benitez, South India
- Krista Weir, Sri Lanka
- Matthew Nicklin, North India
- Mr David Wallace, North India
- Mr & Mrs Manson, North India
- Leslie Siben, India
- Susan Ford, India
- Mr Richard Stoughton, Sri Lanka