Gently Down The Ganges... A Slow & Spiritual Boat Journey in North India
16 days from £6,100 per person
The Ganges River has long been a draw to the Hindu faithful and foreign travellers alike. With the introduction of the comfortable ABN Sukapha cruise vessel, the Ganges and its distributary river the Hooghli, can now be experienced in an altogether relaxed and more comfortable fashion. Designed specifically for river cruising, the ABN Sukapaha takes guests into the heart of rural India and allows access to areas that have otherwise been well off the tourist map.
River cruising is the most exciting and comfortable new way of experiencing India at its most charming and rural. Two vessels, The Sukapha and Charaidew, now allow access to sleepy riverside villages and fantastic forgotten cultural and historic sites. This offering, one of several possible options, starts off in the sacred and ancient city of Varanasi where Hindus ritually bathe in the Ganges River.
Heading to Patna you will start slowly cruising down the Ganges, before finishing the tour in a delightful restored Tea Bungalow in the hills surrounding Darjeeling. Highlights include a visit to Bodhgaya, where the Buddha attained enlightenment and catching a glimpse of the rare Gangetic River Dolphin as you slowing drift down the river. You’ll have the opportunity to visit sleepy riverside villages to witness a way of life that has remained largely unchanged for centuries and meet the wonderful people that inhabit The Ganges’ shores.
This luxury tour is purely a suggested itinerary. It can be booked as it is or alternatively used as a starting point for creating your own perfect bespoke holiday to India. If you'd like to see similar trips, take a look at our collection of Epic Journeys and our favourite Family Holiday itineraries.
16 days from £6,100 per person
- Day 1 - The Oberoi New Delhi - Delhi
Arrive and transfer to your hotel. Optional afternoon tour of Delhi.
- Day 2 - Nadesar Palace - Varanasi
Fly to Varanasi and transfer to your hotel. In the evening witness the Aarti (fire) ceremony on the banks of the Ganges River.
- Day 3 - Nadesar Palace - Varanasi
Early morning boat ride on the Ganges. Afternoon visit Sarnath, the site of The Buddha's first public address.
- Day 4 - Nadesar Palace - Varanasi
The day is free to relax and explore the Ghats that line the banks of the River.
- Day 5 - ABN Sukapha Cruise Boat (Ganges) - The Ganges River
Morning train to Patna. Afternoon board the ABN Sukapha.
- Day 6 - ABN Sukapha Cruise Boat (Ganges) - The Ganges River
Morning tour of the ancient city of Patna. Evening cruise to Barh.
- Day 7 - ABN Sukapha Cruise Boat (Ganges) - The Ganges River
Morning sightseeing tour of the Buddhist archeological site of Nalanda. Afternoon cruise to Mokamed.
- Day 8 - ABN Sukapha Cruise Boat (Ganges) - The Ganges River
Morning cruise to Monghyr, followed by a sightseeing tour. Afternoon continue cruising to Sultanganj.
- Day 9 - ABN Sukapha Cruise Boat (Ganges) - The Ganges River
Morning cruise to Bhagalpur, followed by a sightseeing tour of Bhagalpur, BAteshwar and Vikramshila.
- Day 10 - ABN Sukapha Cruise Boat (Ganges) - The Ganges River
Morning cruise to Rajmahal, stopping for a sightseeing tour. Afternoon continue to Farakka Barrage.
- Day 11 - Royal Sarovar Premiere - Siliguri
Take the day train to Siliguri. Transfer to your hotel.
- Day 12 - Glenburn Tea Estate - Glenburn
Take the famous toy train to Darjeeling. Transfer to Glenburn Tea Estate. Afternoon at leisure.
- Day 13 - Glenburn Tea Estate - Glenburn
Take a sightseeing tour of Darjeeling. Afternoon at leisure.
- Day 14 - Glenburn Tea Estate - Glenburn
Enjoy leisurely walks through the scenic tea estate.
- Day 15 - Calcutta Bungalow - Calcutta
Fly to Kolkata. Transfer to your hotel. Afternoon leisure.
- Day 16 - In transit.
Optional sightseeing tour of Kolkata. Overnight flight home.
- Anonymous, India
- Mr Richard Stoughton, Sri Lanka
- Matthew Nicklin, North India
- Mr Geoffrey Johnson, India
- Mr & Mrs Manson, North India
- Matthew Annable, Rajasthan, India
- Leslie Siben, India
- Mr David Wallace, North India
- Krista Weir, Sri Lanka
- Jaime Benitez, South India