For such a well-visited place, Matsumoto is short on good hotels. The Marunouchi is the newest hotel in town, after the renovation and refurbishment of the previous hotel on this site. It is also the closest one to the castle and five minutes’ walk from Nakamachi old street, so if you do fancy breaking your journey through the Japan Alps then we would recommend staying here.
Standard guest rooms are compact so we recommend the deluxe which are 50% bigger, or the suite room which has a four-poster bed. While it doesn’t have its own restaurant, there are two located nearby within an atmospheric old merchant’s house with traditional ‘shoji’ Japanese screens.
Features in the following itineraries
- Matthew Annable, Rajasthan, India
- Mr David Wallace, North India
- Mr & Mrs Manson, North India
- Leslie Siben, India
- Jaime Benitez, South India
- Mr Geoffrey Johnson, India
- Matthew Nicklin, North India
- Krista Weir, Sri Lanka
- Mr Richard Stoughton, Sri Lanka