The Imperial Hotel
From the moment you drive down the royal palm-lined driveway you know you have reached somewhere special. Built in 1934 as a jewel in the crown by the British Raj, this landmark hotel, located in the heart of New Delhi, exudes style and colonial elegance.
The team at Ampersand are long-time patrons of this Art Deco classic and it is the hotel we use the most for our clients visiting India. The Imperial holds the top spot because of its old world charm and convenient location, a short walk or taxi ride from the sites, and it is simply unrivalled in Delhi for those with an interest in colonial history wishing to travel back in time.
Designed by Lutyens assistant, Bromfield, the hotel's inlaid marble floors, three-story atriums, fountains and lithographs are complemented by 235 well-appointed rooms and grand suites, the Imperial Spa, and wonderful restaurants and bars – including the acclaimed Spice Route restaurant and buzzy 1911 Bar.
An integral part of Lutyen’s blueprint for New Delhi, ordered by the new Imperial ruler, King Emperor George V, The Imperial was a hub for the movers and shakers in India’s new capital. It was at The Imperial in the 1930s that Lord Mountbatten, Pandit Nehru and Mahatma Gandhi met to discuss the partition of India and Pakistan. We recommend taking a tour of the hotel with one of their historians to learn more about The Imperial's heritage.
With its priceless collection of artworks, perfect green lawns and combination of cool white Art Deco, Victorian and colonial architecture, The Imperial still manages to exude an authentic sense of Raj-era charm in one of India’s most modern and fast-changing cities.
Features in the following itineraries
- A Family Wilderness Adventure in Kipling Country
- A Jewish Heritage Tour of India
- A Royal Visit to North India and Bhutan
- ABC of India: Art, Books & Culture... An Arty Tour of North India
- An Introduction to Bhutan
- Ancient India: A historical Journey through Central India
- East to West: A Journey Through Bhutan
- Essential India... Our Comprehensive Tour of North & South India
- Exploring India's Royal Mughal & Maratha Dynasties
- Gems of North India... The Best of the Golden Triangle & Magical Udaipur
- Grand Colonial Tour of Asia
- Grand Tour of North India Our Favourite Luxury India Holiday
- India & China; Past, Present & Future
- India's Pushkar Camel Fair
- Indian Summers… A Historical Highlands Drama
- Maharaja's Express - North Indias Most Luxurious Train Journey
- Shakti Village Walk Experience – Indian Himalayan Tour
- The Legacy of Lutyens
- Leslie Siben, India
- Mr Geoffrey Johnson, India
- Mr Richard Stoughton, Sri Lanka
- Krista Weir, Sri Lanka
- Mr & Mrs Manson, North India
- Matthew Nicklin, North India
- Mr David Wallace, North India
- Jaime Benitez, South India