East to West: A Journey Through Bhutan
17 days from £7,500 per person
This pioneering itinerary is the perfect journey for those who want to explore Bhutan’s remote countryside in depth. This adventurous tour has only just become possible with the opening of the entry point at Samdrup Jongkhar, a sub-tropical region which borders India.
Completely off the beaten path you will be able to visit the heartlands of Bhutan including the eastern provinces and town of Trashigang and Mongar where the indigenous people are semi-nomadic. Journey on to the more frequently visited valleys of the Bumthang Valley, Trongsa, Gangtey, Punakha, Thimphu and Paro, staying in local guesthouses and traditional farm houses. Each of these destinations is home to its own unique and distinctive attractions including dzongs, markets and beautiful, sweeping vistas. The infrastructure and accommodation for the first few days in Bhutan will be a far cry from a luxury holiday but with each passing day this will change and you will certainly feel that you have earned your luxuries by the end of the trip.
This is purely a suggested itinerary, so it can be booked as it is, or used as a starting point for creating your own luxury tailor-made tour of Bhutan. If you'd like to see similar trips, take a look at our Epic Journey and Active Holiday collections; as well as our favourite Mountains & Trekking itineraries.
17 days from £7,500 per person
- Day 1 - The Imperial Hotel - Delhi
Arrive in Delhi and transfer to your hotel. Spend the afternoon at leisure.
- Day 2 - Tashi Gasel Lodge - Samdrup Jongkhar
Fly from Delhi to Guwahati and drive to Samdrup Jongkhar. Afternoon sightseeing Samdrup Jongkhar.
- Day 3 - Lingkhar Lodge - Trashigang
Drive to Trashigang (approx. 7-8 hours) stopping to take in the stunning scenery along the way.
- Day 4 - Lingkhar Lodge - Trashigang
Full day sightseeing of Trashigang Valley.
- Day 5 - Wangchuk Hotel - Mongar
Morning drive to Mongar (approx. 3 hours). Afternoon sightseeing in Mongar.
- Day 6 - Swiss Guest House - Bumthang
Drive to Bumthang (approx. 6-7 hours). The roads are lined with pristine forests and dotted with quaint rural settlements.
- Day 7 - Swiss Guest House - Bumthang
Full day sightseeing in Bumthang valley with your guide.
- Day 8 - Dewachen Hotel - Gangtey
Drive to Gangtey (approx. 6 hours) stopping at interesting points along the beautiful mountain roads.
- Day 9 - Dewachen Hotel - Gangtey
Day at leisure to explore Gangtey valley, including the Black-Necked Crane Centre and the Gangtey Gompa.
- Day 10 - Dhensa Boutique Resort - Punakha
Drive to Punakha (approx. 3 hours) via Wangdue Phodrang and Wangduephodrang Dzong at the confluence of the two rivers.
- Day 11 - Dhensa Boutique Resort - Punakha
Full day sightseeing in Punakha visiting the famed Punakha Dzong and Khamsum Yulley Namgyal Chorten stupa.
- Day 12 - Zhiwa Ling Ascent - Thimphu
Drive to Thimpu (apporx. 2 1/2 hours) via the Dochu La pass.
- Day 13 - Soednam Zingkha Heritage Lodge - Haa Valley
Spend the morning exploring Thimphu. Afternoon drive to the Haa Valley (approx. 3 1/2 hours).
- Day 14 - Soednam Zingkha Heritage Lodge - Haa Valley
Spend the day at leisure for local activities in the Haa Valley.
- Day 15 - Uma Paro - Paro
Drive to Paro (approx. 2 1/2 hours) and spend the afternoon at leisure to explore Paro.
- Day 16 - Uma Paro - Paro
Take a day hike in the valley ending at the Tiger's Nest.
- Day 17 - In transit.
Transfer to Paro airport for your onward flight home.
- Jaime Benitez, South India
- Matthew Nicklin, North India
- Mr David Wallace, North India
- Krista Weir, Sri Lanka
- Mr Geoffrey Johnson, India
- Anonymous, India
- Matthew Annable, Rajasthan, India
- Mr & Mrs Manson, North India
- Leslie Siben, India
- Mr Richard Stoughton, Sri Lanka