Palais de Mahe
Opened in 2013, this extremely welcoming palatial mansion is located in the heart of Pondicherry's stylish French Quarter on Rue de Bussy. Smashingly located, Palais de Mahe lies close to the seaside promenade, barely 50 meters from the cool breezes and gentle rumblings of the Bay of Bengal.
The French Quarter is an address with a distinct colonial stamp, and although this property is a fairly new build, it has been structured extremely well in the old-world heritage style; old fashioned ceiling fans whir overhead, period furniture dots the wide corridors and spacious rooms, a majestic courtyard layout, deep verandas fringed with columned arches and attractive pillars – Palais de Mahe gives you a feeling of French colonial times, and yet it still feels fresh and contemporary. It effortlessly combines the South Indian fire and flavour with a French intensity and fervour, to bring guests a unique and memorable experience.
On arrival you will be greeted by the friendly and welcoming staff in a smart and airy lobby, before walking past a long outdoor swimming pool. The wide and open-sided corridors encircle the swimming pool and lead to the bedrooms. The rooms are spacious but feel cosy, and have been decorated with beautiful antiques, local art and colourful furnishings. All the rooms come equipped with king-sized beds and have impressively sized en-suite bathrooms. There is a small café and bar on the ground floor (next to the pool) which serves light snacks and beverages all day, and an upstairs restaurant and rooftop terrace serving delicious cuisine with fabulous 360-degree sea views. Palais de Mahe is a great spot to retreat to after a day strolling the sun-dappled streets of Pondicherry, and you could happily spend time relaxing at this hotel for a number of days.
Both this property and the CGH Earth brand have integrity – they care about the local history and the environment, and they strive to give their guests an authentic experience.
Features in the following itineraries
- Boutique South India: From Chennai to Cochin
- Grand Tour of South India... Our Signature Family-friendly Holiday
- Mystical Tamil Nadu... Our Sacred South India Tour
- Tamil Nadu & Kerala... A Luxury Tailor-made Tour of South India
- Tamil Nadu & the Andaman Islands... Cultural Tour & Beach Holiday in South India
- Jaime Benitez, South India
- Mr Richard Stoughton, Sri Lanka
- Matthew Nicklin, North India
- Mr David Wallace, North India
- Mr & Mrs Manson, North India
- Mr Geoffrey Johnson, India
- Matthew Annable, Rajasthan, India
- Anonymous, India
- Krista Weir, Sri Lanka
- Leslie Siben, India