Boutique South India: From Chennai to Cochin
14 days from £5,400 per person
Boutique South India is one of Ampersand's Top 10 Winter Sun Trips.
Starting in Chennai, begin your trip at Ampersand favourite, The Leela Palace Chennai before journeying on to the charming town of Pondicherry, where you can experience a little bit of 'gay Paris' in this charming former French outpost. Spend the following night in the Tanjore from where you can visit the Brihadiswara Temple, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Then continue on to the idyllic Rajakkad Estate in Dindigul, where you can truly unwind and get back to nature, quite literally – the estate’s expansive grounds are teeming with wildlife!
Next, venture into the verdant state of Kerala and up into the tea plantations of Munnar for an authentic slice of South Indian rural life in its purist form. Stay at the Talayar Village Bungalows and pay a visit to the villages’ tea factory where you can witness how the leaf gets from field to cup. No comprehensive tour of South India would be complete without visiting Kerala’s backwaters and a stay at the Marari Beach House is the perfect place from which to explore them. Spend a few days relaxing on the beach before continuing on to Cochin and exploring everything this ancient water city has to offer. After such a relaxing two weeks we wouldn’t be surprised if you 'accidentally' miss your flight home!
This is purely a suggested itinerary and can be booked as it is, or alternatively used as a starting point for creating your own tailor-made holiday to India.
14 days from £5,400 per person
- Day 1 - The Leela Palace - Chennai
Arrive in Chennai and transfer to your hotel. Spend the rest of the day at your leisure.
- Day 2 - The Leela Palace - Chennai
Private guided tour of Chennai including Fort St. George, the Kapaleeswarar Temple and St. Thomas' Cathedral.
- Day 3 - La Villa - Pondicherry
Journey by car to Pondicherry. Explore the tree-lined streets for a leisurely evening.
- Day 4 - La Villa - Pondicherry
Private guided tour of Pondicherry.
- Day 5 - Svatma - Tanjore
Drive to Tanjore. Spend the evening at your leisure.
- Day 6 - Rajakkad Estate - Dindigul
Continue to Dindigul. Spend the evening at your leisure in the estate's beautiful grounds.
- Day 7 - Rajakkad Estate - Dindigul
Spend the day at your leisure with a choice of local activities.
- Day 8 - Talayar Valley Bungalow - Munnar
Drive to Munnar. Spend the rest of the day at your leisure.
- Day 9 - Talayar Valley Bungalow - Munnar
Visit the local tea factory or choice of your activity.
- Day 10 - Marari Beach Resort - Mararikulam
Drive to Mararikulam. Spend the rest of the day at your leisure.
- Day 11 - Marari Beach Resort - Mararikulam
Spend the at your leisure with your choice of beach activities.
- Day 12 - Marari Beach Resort - Mararikulam
At your leisure.
- Day 13 - Brunton Boatyard - Cochin
Drive to Cochin. Private guided afternoon tour of the city.
- Day 14 - In transit.
Transfer to the airport for your onward flight home.
- Anonymous, India
- Mr & Mrs Manson, North India
- Mr Geoffrey Johnson, India
- Leslie Siben, India
- Jaime Benitez, South India
- Mr David Wallace, North India
- Mr Richard Stoughton, Sri Lanka
- Krista Weir, Sri Lanka
- Matthew Nicklin, North India
- Matthew Annable, Rajasthan, India