Ladakh & Rajasthan... A Perfect Summer in North India
15 days from £7,500 per person
This itinerary is one of Ampersand's Top 10 Cultural Holidays.
Ladakh is both physically and culturally spectacular. Often called Little Tibet due to the great similarities in its people, plateau landscape surrounded by the soaring Himalayas, and its culture and religion, Ladakh is a raw and awe-inspiring ancient land and is home to one of the best-preserved Tantric Buddhist societies in existence. Using Thiksey as a base and staying at the fabulous Chamba Camp, explore the surrounding region with its impressive and ancient monasteries, many populated by communities of Buddhist monks. Spend a day visiting Alchi to see the 900-year-old temples with their beautiful wall paintings and wood sculptures which fortunately survived the Mughal invasion of India.
Next, return to Delhi and spend a day discovering the city’s many layers of history and architecture. Continue to Agra, home to the impenetrable Agra Fort and the majestic Taj Mahal, the jewel in the Mughal crown. Continue your journey onto the regal Rajput cities of Jaipur, also known as the Pink City, and the beautiful and tranquil lake city of Udaipur. The contrast between the simplicity and vast landscapes of Ladakh and the colourful opulence of Delhi and Rajasthan will blow you away, and it is what makes this tour so fascinating.
This tour is purely a suggested itinerary: it can be booked as it is, or alternatively used as a starting point for creating your own ideal tailor-made holiday in Ladakh and Rajasthan. If you'd like to see similar trips, take a look at our Honeymoon and Family Holiday collections, as well as our other favourite Active and Mountains & Trekking itineraries.
15 days from £7,500 per person
- Day 1 - The Oberoi New Delhi - Delhi
Arrive and transfer to your hotel. Optional sightseeing of Delhi this afternoon.
- Day 2 - The Ultimate Travelling Camp, Chamba Camp - Thiksey
Fly to Leh and transfer to Thiksey where you will find your luxury camp. Remainder of the day at leisure to acclimatise to the altitude.
- Day 3 - The Ultimate Travelling Camp, Chamba Camp - Thiksey
Sunrise prayer ceremony at Thiksey monastery, followed by a tour of the prayer room. Afternoon sightseeing trip of Hemis and Shey monasteries.
- Day 4 - The Ultimate Travelling Camp, Chamba Camp - Thiksey
Today visit the Leh Palace, the Ladakh Arts & Media Organisation Centre and the bazaar and end at the Shanti Stupa.
- Day 5 - Nubra Organic Retreat, Nubra Vally - Ladakh
This morning drive to Nubra Valley. On arrival spend the rest of day at leisure.
- Day 6 - Nubra Organic Retreat, Nubra Vally - Ladakh
Full day tour around the spectacular Nubra Valley.
- Day 7 - The Ultimate Travelling Camp, Chamba Camp - Thiksey
Drive back to Thiksey and spend the rest of day at leisure. Either take a cycling trip in the vicinity of the Thiksey village and its surroundings, or drive to the Saboo village for a séance session with the Oracle.
- Day 8 - The Oberoi New Delhi - Delhi
Early flight to Delhi, transfer to hotel and spend the day at leisure.
- Day 9 - The Oberoi New Delhi - Delhi
Full day sightseeing in Delhi.
- Day 10 - Trident Agra - Agra
Train to Agra. Afternoon sightseeing of Agra Fort and the Taj Mahal at sunset.
- Day 11 - Samode Haveli - Jaipur
Visit the Taj Mahal at sunrise. Drive to Jaipur via Fatehpur Sikri.
- Day 12 - Samode Haveli - Jaipur
Full day sightseeing tour of Jaipur and Amber Fort. Evening private dinner at Samode Haveli.
- Day 13 - The Oberoi Udaivilas - Udaipur
Drive to Udaipur and spend the afternoon at leisure.
- Day 14 - The Oberoi Udaivilas - Udaipur
Half day sightseeing tour of Udaipur. Afternoon boat ride on Lake Pichola.
- Day 15 - In transit.
Transfer to Udaipur airport for your onward journey home.
- Matthew Annable, Rajasthan, India
- Jaime Benitez, South India
- Mr & Mrs Manson, North India
- Anonymous, India
- Krista Weir, Sri Lanka
- Matthew Nicklin, North India
- Mr David Wallace, North India
- Leslie Siben, India
- Mr Geoffrey Johnson, India
- Mr Richard Stoughton, Sri Lanka