The Ultimate Burma Tour... No Stone Left Unturned
21 days from £8,500 per person
- Yangon (Rangoon)
- Inle Lake
- Maymyo (Pyin Oo Lwin)
- Mrauk U
- Ngapali Beach
Having recently returned from Burma, our specialists have put together the ultimate trip to Burma leaving no stone unturned. The itinerary starts in the former capital of Yangon with its crumbling colonial architecture and the shimmering Shwedagon Pagoda before driving to the pilgrimage of Kyaikhtiyo. Return to Yangon before flying upcountry to the banks of Burma's second largest lake, Inle. It is home to pagodas and monasteries and more than 200 small villages, many of which are floating on stilts on the lake. The Intha, the local people, are famous for developing the eccentric method of rowing with one leg.
From Inle, fly to the northern reaches of Burma and spend 3 nights in the wonderful Malikha Lodge for some adventures in the mountains and forests. After Putao, visit Mandalay, once home to the staggering Royal Moated Palace complex and the gateway to Burma's ancient capitals like Inwa and Mingun. Cruise down the Irrawaddy River to Bagan for 1 night on the RV Paukan experiencing a slower pace of life. Upon disembarkation view the magnificent temples of Bagan, scattered over the 26 square mile site along the river banks or the Irrawaddy. A sunrise balloon ride over the temples can be organised upon request.
Before you hit the beach visit Mrauk U, another town with extraordinary temples and pagodas which is a lot less frequented. Finish the journey with 3 nights on beautiful Ngapali beach, a 3 km stretch of white sand and clear turquoise waters, at Sandoway Resort.
This luxury holiday is purely a suggested itinerary; it can be booked as it is or used as a starting point for creating your perfect tailor-made tour of Burma. If you would like to see similar trips, take a look at our collection of Epic Journeys and Honeymoons, as well as our Active, Beach, Trekking and Boating itineraries.
21 days from £8,500 per person
- Day 1 - Belmond Governor's Residence - Yangon (Rangoon)
Arrive in Yangon in the afternoon, transfer to hotel.
- Day 2 - Belmond Governor's Residence - Yangon (Rangoon)
Visit the National Museum & Scott's Market in the morning. Watch the sunset over Shwedagon Pagoda.
- Day 3 - Mountain Top Hotel - Kyaikhtiyo
Drive to Kyaikhtiyo to visit the Golden Rock.
- Day 4 - Inle Princess Resort - Inle Lake
Drive back to Yangon before flying to Inle Lake.
- Day 5 - Inle Princess Resort - Inle Lake
Full day exploring the lake by boat.
- Day 6 - Malikha Lodge - Putao
Fly north to Malikha Lodge in Putao.
- Day 7 - Malikha Lodge - Putao
There are a variety of activities here including rafting, trekking and cycling.
- Day 8 - Malikha Lodge - Putao
Day at leisure or optional activities.
- Day 9 - Mandalay Hill Resort - Mandalay
Fly to Mandalay and take a boat ride under the U Bein Bridge at sunset.
- Day 10 - Kandawgyi Hill Resort - Maymyo (Pyin Oo Lwin)
Drive to the hill station of Maymyo (Pyin Oo Lwin) and walk around the botanical gardens.
- Day 11 - Mr Charles Hotel - Hsipaw
Take a local train across the famous Goitek Viaduct.
- Day 12 - Mandalay Hill Resort - Mandalay
Return to Mandalay and visit Mandalay in the afternoon.
- Day 13 - RV Paukan - Bagan
Early morning visit to the local market before embarking on the RV Paukan. Cruise down the river to Bagan.
- Day 14 - Mandalay Hill Resort - Mandalay
Full day private sightseeing to Mingun and Inwa.
- Day 15 - Thiripyitsaya Sanctuary Resort - Bagan
After breakfast, disembark and transfer to your hotel. Spend the afternoon visiting the temples & pagodas of Bagan.
- Day 16 - Thiripyitsaya Sanctuary Resort - Bagan
Optional sunrise balloon ride. Spend the rest of the morning visiting templs & pagodas. Afternoon at leisure.
- Day 17 - Mrauk U Princess - Mrauk U
Fly to Sittwe to visit the temples surrounding Mrauk U.
- Day 18 - Mrauk U Princess - Mrauk U
Spend the day visiting the temples.
- Day 19 - Sandoway Resort - Ngapali Beach
Fly to Ngapali Beach for some relaxation.
- Day 20 - Sandoway Resort - Ngapali Beach
Day at leisure.
- Day 21 - In transit.
Fly to Yangon in good time for your connecting flight home via Bangkok.
Slicing through the water on Burma’s Inle Lake on a long-tail boat - the water, mountain and sky seemed to merge with one another and the colours were washed out into shades of blue and grey. It was cool, almost cold. Here, whole villages live on the water and crops are grown on small strips of floating islands. Rarely has reality felt more dreamlike.
James Jayasundera, MD of Ampersand Travel
- Mr Geoffrey Johnson, India
- Jaime Benitez, South India
- Matthew Annable, Rajasthan, India
- Anonymous, India
- Mr David Wallace, North India
- Matthew Nicklin, North India
- Mr & Mrs Manson, North India
- Leslie Siben, India
- Mr Richard Stoughton, Sri Lanka
- Krista Weir, Sri Lanka